Nuneaton & Bedworth

Campaign for Real Ale

Pub Protection & ACV's

Pub Preservation

In May 2017, planning law was changed (following a long campaign by CAMRA and others) so that any demolition or change of use of a pub now needs planning permission. This means that you can raise objections to any such proposals and, hopefully, convince the Council to turn them down. Previously, ACVs were one of the only routes to securing this protection.
So far as pubs are concerned, the most common change of use is to one, or more houses. Others include conversions to restaurants, shops, offices, hot food takeaways and industrial or warehousing uses. Also needing permission are: extensions, such as new restaurant areas and conservatories, alterations to Listed Buildings (inside or out), most new signs and advertisements and changes to the external appearance of the building such as new doors, windows or roof.

If you love your local pub and think it adds value to your local community, then why not list it with your local council as an 'Asset of Community Value' (ACV)?

Over two years CAMRA campaigners have successfully listed over 2,000 pubs as ACVs across England.

If your community pub comes under threat, listing the pub as an ACV may still be beneficial to securing its future, and add support to objections raised by the community as part of the planning process.

Below outlines how your community can come together to nominate your local. If you require any further help or advice on whether an ACVs is the best route for your community to go down, please email ku.gro.armac@sngiapmac.

How to nominate:-
1. Decide who you are nominating on behalf of. You can either nominate as a group of 21 local people, as a Parish Council, or in connection with another local group including a CAMRA Branch.

2. Go to your local Council website and download a nomination form. You should then fill the nomination form out with as much detail as you can on why the pub adds value to your community.

3. If nominating as a group of 21 local people, make sure they're all on the electoral register. Often best to have a few more just in case!

4. Submit the form to the Council - there should be an email address or address on their website provided. CAMRA’s Chair of Pub Campaigns Committee, Paul Ainsworth is also happy to cast an eye over draft nominations. If you're unsure, send it over to ku.gro.armac@sngiapmac

5. Wait 8 weeks for a decision! Once a Council has received your application, they'll have 8 weeks to decide whether or not to list the asset.